Well it's technically 4 weeks tomorrow,
not a whole month (I have decided there is a difference), but thank
you! Okay so I better address the letter stuff right now while I'm
thinking about it. I have received a total of 12 letters today and
yesterday. I am legendary in my district for the amount of mail I
receive, and I can't complain. I got Mer and Jon's letters today, and
Jon's interpretation of Nephi decommissioning Laban made me laugh. And I
agree with Cole. The Good Island does always beat the Evil Castle. I
read large swaths of The White Panther's [Jonah] letter to my district, and they
all thought it was hilarious. Keep 'em coming. Thank you guys all so
much for the letters. Tell Grandma and Grandpa Tams that I got another
of theirs, and I got one from Jeneile today as well. I really do love
all the mail. I hope mine get there soon. I'm not sure that I put enough
stamps on them, so they could just be out there floating in Mexican
postal limbo. So sorry if that's the case. I'll write each of you huge
letters and send them once I'm back in the States.
Speaking of the States, guess what country everyone
wants to go back to? I would be excited to go to Texas regardless of
anyone else's opinions, but a lot of people are lamenting the absence of
US luxuries. Mostly regarding mail [and] food. I can't say I'm not happy returning to the land of the Bald Eagle.
That's right! School is starting! It's really
strange not being around for that. Tell Jonah and Isaac I will be
praying for them and that these years will be great for them. I can feel
it. Speaking of feeling weird things, I would be curious to hear if you
guys had felt any promptings from the Spirit that were peculiar. And it
is a real privilege to give blessings. I have had the opportunity to
give several here, and they have all been awesome experiences. I'll have
to tell you about some of them later.
Noah's response to comments about our getting a Shuffle loaded up with music to send to him:
I'm so pumped to hear music that isn't hymns. I hope
that isn't sacrilegious to say. Motab is great! Throw a requiem on
there and I'll be set. Really though, all of the missionaries are
desperate for music that isn't hymnal. This girl started playing Disney
songs on the piano, and there were like 15 Elders in the room in like 15
minutes. They follow the sounds of it like sharks to blood. During
TALL, we can hear it, and it is like the best part of my day. Tell
Brianna thank you for all the help she gave you guys.
1) Has your district had any problems? Are things going better now?
1) [Any] problems were byproducts of juxtaposed
personalities. [That] combined with the natural stress of the CCM,
being away from home, and adjusting to missionary life in addition to
learning Spanish have made a delicious satanic stew of destruction, and
my district has partaken heartily. Find a way to include that metaphor
in my blog. I'm quite proud of that.
2) When do you get to go to the temple/visitors center?
2) When do you get to go to the temple/visitors center?
2) We went today! I took a bunch of pictures and
will include them below. It was seriously awesome. The Mexico City
Visitor's Center is way cooler than any back in the states. The coolest
part was getting to drive through the city and see real people
(missionaries aren't real people). The bubble effect going on here is
like Utah Valley on steroids, so we needed to see real life to get us
feeling like normal. Oh! And I bought one of those cool scripture cases!
And I forgot to take a picture! Lo siento! There is a cool rendition
of the Tree of Life vision on the front. I'll send pictures next week.
This is my second to last P day in the CCM. I can't tell you how excited
I am to go serve and get out of here.
3) Mom wants to know if you got the information she sent you about your
bike.
3) Not yet. If she sent it a week ago then it has
about half a week or more to get here.
4) Who are the people in your district who have become your good friends?
4) Who are the people in your district who have become your good friends?
4) Well I actually feel like I have become pretty
good friends with pretty much everyone in my district. I have been
praying to be close to my district and I can really see that prayer
being answered. I obviously spend more time with the Elders than the
Hermanas, though. I really like Elder Andrews. He's twenty and just
finished a year at BYU. He's from Montana and has been a farmer most his
life. He's really humble and down to earth and loves hearing stories
about you guys and especially about Dad, who he thinks is hilarious. He
has some pretty good stories and is pretty funny. But I really like
everyone. Elder Niblett is really smart and knows good music. He listens
to Radiohead (not as religiously as I do, but he still listens to them)
and other sweet bands. Hermana Mcarthur is working on an English
degree at BYU I, so there's someone else here who knows writers. That's
always a plus.
5) What are some of the spiritual insights you've gained lately in your study?
5) What are some of the spiritual insights you've gained lately in your study?
5) Well I had some interesting thoughts come to me
about repentance. Hebrews chapter one clearly outlines Christ as the one
who holds the priesthood keys of creation, and Isaiah chapter 43 verse
25 states that Heavenly Father forgets our sins after true repentance,
and even though I'm sure that is mostly a metaphorical promise, I'm sure
there is an element of literal manifestation in that promise as well.
"Forgetting" implies to a degree time and the difference between two
periods of time, even though God experiences time differently. Also, if
repentance is change, then it must be an infinite principle if it has
infinite consequences, unlike how most of the Christian world views
change. Therefore, I think that through the power of the Atonement and
Christ's role as creator, when we repent honestly, Christ posses the
ability to actually recreate a person to be more like Him, to the degree
that they are actually repentant. This is why Heavenly Father can
forget our sins without an actual hole in His memory: He remembers our
sins, but "we," per se, no longer exist. We have been recreated into a
new version of us that is more like Christ and is therefore less removed
from the grace and blessings of God and is more happy. The reason I
think this is so significant is because Christ exercises the same power
of creation that was used to organize the world to organize us actively,
which is why even the priesthood's reach into creative powers are just
as active as other keys and must remain with Christ. Anyway, tell me
what you think.
Anyway, we are healthy and happy. We are all healed
up and are doing well. I received revelation to translate the El Libro
de Mormon to English. It will help me study all the things I need to be
studying and review the language. I felt so blessed to receive that
revelation, since I had been praying for help with the language. Once I
am finished with the El Libro de Mormon (several months into my mission,
obviously), I'll switch and go English to Spanish. I could end up
learning how to talk super formally, but Heavenly Father gave me an
answer to my prayers, and I am going to be obedient.
I love you all more than I can write. I'm super
excited to call you in the airport in Tejas. Gather all those who want
to hear the ambrosia sound of my voice. I twill call.
Love,
Elder Hickman
More from Sister Medeiros here (including more pictures): [http://hermanamedeiros.blogspot.com/2014/08/dont-be-weak-link-in-your-chain.html]
More from Sister Medeiros here (including more pictures): [http://hermanamedeiros.blogspot.com/2014/08/dont-be-weak-link-in-your-chain.html]
No comments:
Post a Comment