Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Laredo [Week 59] - September 8, 2015

 Elder Myler and Elder Hickman


Hey guys! I am here!

How is everyone?

I am great! Just so you guys know - I bought a pair of 60 dollar running shoes yesterday, because my Vans are falling apart. I literally have a 6 inch gap on the side of one of the shoes and the soles on both are falling out, not to mention that the laces are mangled, so I felt like I needed some new ones. Was that alright? I actually paid for it with my church card, because I wasn't sure how much I had on my home one, so I will be paying for my food with my home card until I get that paid off. Is that alright?

I got some Reebok Crossfit shoes that were on discount. They were relatively cheap, they looked cool, and they looked and felt like something I could do a variety of things in. I got home and put them on for the P-day activity, and it felt like I was walking on springs. Cloudy springs. Made of whipped cream. They are delightful. Elder Randall and Hatfield came up to stay the night for a meeting we had today, and Elder Randall saw them. He asked how much I got them for, and told me they are least worth 120 dollars. He showed me his Nike ones that he got for 120 that are worth 200. I was pleased.

Also, 2 weeks ago. I bought a do-rag. Para que sepan.

Sorry. I was emailing president, by the way. I am trying to write longer emails to him for a requirement for one of our language study programs.

Voy a contestar su pregunta en espanol para que puedas decidir por su mismo el estado de mi espanol. Tengo mas trabajo al alcanzar la vision que tenia y todovia tengo para mi abilidad a hablar la idioma, pero creo que entiendo la mayoria parte de lo que digan la gente aqui, y la mayoria parte del tiempo creo que entiendo lo que diga a ellos. Dios me ha bendicido mucho en este aspecto. No merezco la ayuda que haya recibido. Te amo!

Sounds like a super fun Labor Day! People down here don't really celebrate Labor Day, so it didn't really change much for us. But I'm glad you were able to have fun! And I really want a Dole Whip.

I did hear about that game! I random person told the Zone Leaders who then told me at morning basketball. Super sick. I am super pumped. I hear rumors that Bronco is going to retire after this season. Is that true? But that is so sick! Keep sending me updates on the season. Holy cow it's football season again! Holy cow!

That sounds like a great Sunday afternoon! Haha I'm sorry you guys couldn't sleep outside all night (Friday Night), but I'm glad you guys still do that. That will be one of those things that Isaac remembers and cherishes forever. How many hours does Jonah work per week?

He has been working about 20 hours a week, but hopefully that will taper off some. 

Wow that's a lot of hours for someone who is in school. How are he and Isaac doing?
Did you get Mer and Jon's package?  I didn't end up sending our package because I knew they were sending one.  I'll probably send one this week.  Have you thought of anything you need?

Yeah I did! It was awesome! Give them a big thank-you from me. I looooooved the banana bread. It was so good. It's already all gone. No, I don't think that there is anything else I need. Thank you so much for sending me a package!

How are your investigators doing?  Did they make it to church?  Whom should we pray for?
 
Yeah! We had two come to church this week. D* and his daughter. We haven't even had a lesson with them. Brother N* brought them to church. Elder Mangum (one of the senior missionaries here in Laredo) went to an FHE where he was present and answered a lot of questions that piqued his interest, so that was great. We are going to be working with them here in the next week, so that he can progress and hopefully get baptized this month, as well as his daughter. We are working with a lot of people right now (we found 16 new investigators last week), but they are the most solid. Could you also pray for C*, E*, A*, and S*? Thanks guys! I love you guys a lot!

Are you still teaching follow-up lessons to M*, C*, M*, R*, F* & M*?  How are they doing?
Yeah! We visit each of them at least once a week, every week. I love those guys! M* (R*) just got a new calling last week as the 2nd counselor in the Primary Presidency, so we were super excited. R* has received the Aaronic priesthood (I got to give it to him!) and is serving as a teacher now. They are all just so awesome.  

Describe a tender mercy from this week.

Hmm, well, it was Sunday evening, and our numbers of referrals received and contacted weren't where we wanted them to be for the week, but our plans were full. After deciding that repentance would just have to wait until Monday, one of our appointments dropped through, and we had an hour to go contacting. We chose a house, and Elder Myler suggested that we pray before knocking the door. We did, and sure enough, the person was there, and they gave us another house to visit. We knocked that one, and we found a less active member that was baptized like 30 years ago when she was 15, and set baptismal dates with her two daughters. Boom. Huge miracle. That is actually A* and S*, two of the girls I asked you all to pray for. We are going back tonight for our first lesson.

Well, I only have 2 minutes left, so I just want to say how much I love you guys. I sure do love you guys a lot. Always remember that. I pray for each of you every single day. Remember that!

Have a great week,

Elder Hickman

No comments:

Post a Comment