Sorry guys! I was emailing president. I had a long letter to write because we baptized this week! F* and M* were baptized and confirmed this week at the ages of 95 and 97.
First
lesson learned: if you work hard and pray even harder, God will help
you to hit your goals, especially if they are in His service. Wow. There
were moments that I didn't think we were going to baptize this month,
because we consistently didn't have people at church. But last Saturday,
on a whim visit to the N* family, Sister N* introduced them to us
in the back of the house. A million missionaries have been by them.
They had already received the lessons twice. They had been trying for 15
years to get them baptized. They aren't able to attend normal services,
and at my fairly reasonable confidence that in their relatively
decrepit state they weren't breaking the word of wisdom or law of
chastity, we invited them to be baptized. F* accepted. We had to
really work with M*, and it took her seeing her brother getting
baptized to decide, but she accepted too. They were confirmed right
afterwards and partook of the sacrament as baptized members for the
first time yesterday in their home. All in the course of a week. One
week. What a miracle. They are so awesome. I love just talking with
them, and I think they love it too.
What changed M*'s mind?
I think the fact that her brother did it sparked something in her. She
was parked in front of the font, and she finally decided. Sister N*
wouldn't have her not getting baptized. She wanted it so bad. I don't
think it would have happened if it weren't for that Sister. I didn't actually baptized them - I just helped Brother N*baptized
them. I basically got baptized with her. I was up to my neck in the
water.
Elder Myler, F*, M*, and Elder Hickman
I did get your letter, Dad! It surprised me. Thank you so
much for the counsel. Dad, honestly, I loved it. It gave me a ton of
insights on how I can improve my service AND my leadership. Thank you so
much. That talk by Jeffery R. Holland is great. And I really
appreciated the copy of "When Your Bow Breaks." Thank you so, so much,
Dad. It helped me out a ton.
Dad - a lot of what you said sparked feelings I had felt earlier in my
mission about needing to not be "a slothful servant" and use more of my
talents to help progress the work. Knocking doors is the most
quintessential missionary work, but it is also one of the least
effective, and I think it's time for me to grow by finding and working
with members in new ways. I also loved the fact that the whole letter
was written with a lot of love, and it reminded me of what a great
family I have and how excited I am that y'all are my friends.
Hey! Congratulations!! I'm super happy for you, Dad! You, of all people,
deserve that award.
Good luck with the onset of the new teaching year! Yeah! I would really like to take one of your
classes, especially the graduate ones. I just feel like having your Dad
as a professor is good of a tool to pass up. Plus I love you and think
you are a great teacher.
Hey Mom! I love you! Sounds like it was a great Sunday!
With the ice cream sundae and the talks. Great job, Mom! That sounds like
a great lesson. We might have to use that . . . we went super hard on
the English branch yesterday about the Sabbath with the new training
that the church put out. I loved those videos. Super in-depth doctrine.
How did your week go?
Who are you teaching? How is their progress?
D*,
A*, and C*. D* has been to church, but he was in Mexico
last week. A* is his sister, and she has a ton of problems. She
will need a lot of prayers.
Anything fun happen this week?
Elder Castillo, Elder Serra, Elder Hickman, Elder Myler, ?, R*
I love you guys all so so much!
Have a great week!
Elder Hickman


No comments:
Post a Comment